BOUT THE INTERPRETER
- Cormac Leonard possesses a 2005 Diploma in Irish Sign Language / English Interpreting from the Centre for Deaf Studies, Trinity College Dublin.
- The interpreter has also undergone SLIS Accreditation in 2006, receiving R1 Status (i.e. he is considered suitable to interpret within legal / medical / mental health / conference contexts).
- The interpreter is indemnified with O’Brien Finlay Insurance Associates Limited for up to €6,500,000 including Malpractice Liability, Public Liability and Products Liability.
- The interpreter has received Garda Clearance as of September 2014.
- Tax Clearance Certificates are available on request from the interpreter.
Please note that these rates and conditions are for assignments where contact has been made directly with the interpreter. Rates and conditions may differ for assignments where booking has been made through an interpreting agency.
RATES AS OF 1st FEBRUARY 2018 (EXCLUSIVE OF VAT)
Generic Half Day (under 3 hours*) €130 / £120 + VAT
Generic Full Day (3-7 hours*) €260 / GBP£240 + VAT
High Skills Half Day (under 3 hours*) €160 / £145 + VAT
High Skills Full Day (3-7 hours*) €320 / £290 + VAT
“High Skills” covers any assignment in the medical, legal, performance, conference or mental health categories.
- Full Day assignment duration of 7 hours does not include an hour for lunch break. A 9am – 5pm day will be charged at a Full Day rate provided there is an hour lunch break; shorter lunch breaks will mean additional charges (see below).
- Assignments longer than 7 hours in one day will be charged additionally per hour or part-hour, at a rate based on one-third of the appropriate Half Day rate. E.g. a conference lasting from 9.00am to 6.00pm (with an hour for lunch) will be charged thusly:
9.00am – 5.00pm (with an hour given for lunch): High Skills full day rate: €320.00
5.00pm – 6.00pm (over 7 hours): one-third High Skills half day rate: €53.33
Total fee: €373.33 + VAT
- Assignments of up to 4 hours duration, where an hour break is supplied in between, will be charged at a Half-Day rate, e.g.
9.00am to 1.00pm, where 11am-12pm involves no interpreting: Half Day rate.
9.00am to 1.00pm, no hour-long break: Full Day rate.
- Quarter day rate is only available for jobs in the Drogheda area which are 45-50 minutes in duration or shorter, and do not take place at weekends or after 6pm Monday to Friday.
- All other assignments between 3 and 7 hours in duration will be charged at Full Day rate.
- Please note that requests to arrive before the beginning of the event, or to stay on after an assignment to informally interpret during lunch, dinner or other social event, mean that these times will be included in the overall quote. For example, a request to arrive at 8.30am for an event beginning at 9.00am will result in a 30 minute addition to the billed time of the event. This may result in assignments billed at greater than the expected Half / Full Day rates.
- Assignments cancelled within two working days will be liable for 100% cancellation fee.
- Assignments cancelled between five and three working days will be liable for 50% cancellation fee.
- Travel expenses will be incurred where assignments are accepted outside of the Dublin / Meath / Louth area.
- Accommodation expenses may be incurred where assignments are accepted outside of the Dublin / Meath / Louth area and require an overnight stay.
- Preparation time may be charged for assignments such as highly technical conferences or performances where significant time must be given to preparation,
- Where community-based organisations can demonstrate hardship, an rate of €100 may be applied for half-day generic assignments at the discretion of the interpreter.
- Where individuals can demonstrate hardship, an hourly rate may be applied for short assignments, based on a rate that is one-third of a Generic Half-Day rate, at the discretion of the interpreter.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- The interpreter will accept only assignments where meaningful access for Deaf people is provided. I do not accept assignments where Deaf people are either not present or unable to access the interpretation fully, or where only minimal efforts have been made to ensure their participation in an event.
- Booking is recommended at least two weeks in advance. No guarantees of availability are made for particular assignments until officially booked.
- The exact nature of the event to be interpreted must be disclosed to the interpreter at time of booking. Any changes to the event must be signalled to the interpreter well in advance.
- It is highly important that preparation material – Power Point presentations, written notes, links to relevant websites, YouTube links to be used, etc. – be forwarded to the interpreter at the earliest opportunity. A failure to supply this may result in difficulties for the interpreter and a non-optimum interpretation. Failure to provide preparation material for certain complex assignments may result in withdrawal of service.
- Due to health and safety reasons, an interpreter when working alone is required to have a break of at least 5 minutes every 45-50 minutes. Service may be discontinued if such breaks are not supplied.
- Due to reasons of health and safety as well as the need to maintain quality of service, complex and Full Day (and certain Half Day) assignments will require a co-interpreter. The interpreter can assist in sourcing a colleague for the assignment, who should be appropriately qualified and skilled. Deaf interpreters may be recommended to work alongside the interpreter in certain circumstances. The second interpreter’s own rates, terms and conditions etc. may differ from those above and will be invoiced for separately.
- On the day of assignment, the interpreter reserves the right to judge the interpreting situation to be above his/her level of ability, or outside the domain of his/her skills and experience. In this case he/she will inform those present immediately and advise on possible solutions and further action.
- Failure of one party to arrive for the assignment will be taken as cancellation on the day of the assignment, and this will be invoiced for in full.
- The video or audio recording of the interpreting service will require the prior permission of the interpreter at all times.