ABOUT THE INTERPRETER
- Cormac Leonard possesses a 2005 Diploma in Irish Sign Language / English Interpreting from the Centre for Deaf Studies, Trinity College Dublin.
- The interpreter has also undergone SLIS Accreditation in 2006, receiving R1 Status (i.e. he is considered suitable to interpret within legal / medical / mental health / conference contexts).
- The interpreter is indemnified with O’Brien Finlay Insurance Associates Limited for up to €6,500,000 including Malpractice Liability, Public Liability and Products Liability.
- The interpreter has received Garda Clearance.
- Tax Clearance Certificates are available on request from the interpreter.
Please note that these rates and conditions are for assignments where contact has been made directly with the interpreter. Rates and conditions may differ for assignments where booking has been made through an interpreting agency.
RATES AS OF 1st JANUARY 2020:
Generic Half Day (under 3 hours) €140 + VAT
Generic Full Day (3-7 hours) €280 + VAT
High Skills* Half Day (under 3 hours) €170 + VAT
High Skills* Full Day (3-7 hours) €340 + VAT
* “High Skills” covers any assignment in the medical, legal, performance, conference or mental health categories.
- Value Added Tax (VAT) of 23% will be applied to all fees and charges.
- Travel expenses are charged where assignments take place outside of the County Dublin / Meath / Louth area; mileage will be charged at a rate of 39 cents per km.
- For assignments located a considerable distance from the interpreter’s home, requiring more than 1.5 hours travel each way, a Full Day rate may be charged, in addition to travel expenses such as mileage.
- For assignments taking place at weekends, at unsociable hours or during bank holidays, an extra charge may be applied.
- Accommodation expenses may be incurred where assignments are accepted outside of the Dublin / Meath / Louth area, and require an overnight stay.
- Preparation time may be charged for assignments such as highly technical conferences, or performances where significant amounts of time is given to preparation, or attendance at preparatory events.
- Assignments that run over the time originally booked for may be charged additionally for each hour or part-hour, at a rate based on one-third of the appropriate Half Day rate. E.g.:
Conference: originally booked 9.00am – 5.00pm, overruns until 5.45pm
9.00am – 5.00pm (with adequate breaks + 1 hour for lunch): High Skills full day rate
5.00pm – 5.45pm (over and above booked hours): additional ⅓ of High Skills half day rate
Meeting: originally booked 10.00am – 1.00pm, overruns until 1.35pm
10.00am – 1.00pm (with adequate breaks): Generic Half Day rate
10.00pm – 1.35pm (over and above booked hours): additional ⅓ of Generic Half Day rate
- Full Day assignment duration of 7 hours does not include an hour for lunch break. A 9am – 5pm day will be charged at a Full Day rate, provided there is an hour lunch break. Shorter lunch breaks may entail additional charges, e.g.:
9.00am – 5.00pm (with adequate breaks + 1 hr lunch): 7 hours + 1 hr lunch = Full Day rate
9.00am – 5.00pm (with adequate breaks + 30 mins lunch): 7.5 hours + 1 hr lunch = Full Day rate + one-third of Half Day rate
- Assignments longer than 7 hours in one day will be charged additionally per hour or part-hour, at a rate based on one-third of the appropriate Half Day rate. E.g.:
Conference, beginning 9.00am, ending 6.00pm
9.00am – 5.00pm (with adequate breaks + 1 hr lunch): High Skills full day rate +
5.00pm – 6.00pm (over 7 hours): ⅓ High Skills half day rate
- Assignments of up to 4 hours duration, where an hour break is supplied in between, will be charged at a Half-Day rate, e.g.
9.00am to 1.00pm, break between 11am-12pm with no interpreting: Half Day rate.
9.00am to 1.00pm, break(s) of less than 1 hour: Full Day rate.
All other assignments between 3 and 7 hours in duration will be charged at Full Day rate.
- Requests to arrive before the beginning of the event, or to stay on after an assignment e.g. to informally interpret during lunch, dinner or other social event, mean that these additional periods will be included in the overall quote, e. g.:
Event starts 9.00am, ends 12.00pm: Half Day rate.
Event starts 9.00am, ends 12.00pm, interpreter requested to arrive 8.30am: Full Day rate.
- Assignments cancelled less than five working days before the event will be liable for 100% cancellation fee (less travel expenses, if not already incurred).
- Assignments cancelled between five and ten working days before the event will be liable for 50% cancellation fee (less travel expenses, if not already incurred).
- The interpreter has discretion to provide services on a pro bono basis, but in general will not supply services on a pro bono or voluntary basis. Please click here for an explanation of the rationale behind this.
- A reduced local rate may be available for jobs in the Bettystown / Laytown / Drogheda area, which are 45-50 minutes in duration or shorter, and do not take place at weekends or after 6pm Monday to Friday, at the discretion of the interpreter.
- For community-based non-profit organisations, a rate of €100 + VAT may be applied for half-day generic assignments, at the discretion of the interpreter.
- For Deaf individuals, an hourly rate may be applied for short assignments (based on a rate one-third of a Generic Half-Day rate) at the discretion of the interpreter, where legislation does not cover the issue of funding for an interpreting assignment.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- The interpreter will accept only assignments where meaningful access for Deaf people is provided. I do not accept assignments where Deaf people are not present and unable to access the interpretation fully, or where only minimal efforts have been made to ensure their participation in an event.
- Booking is recommended at least two weeks in advance. No guarantees of availability are made for particular assignments until officially booked.
- The exact nature of the event to be interpreted must be disclosed to the interpreter at time of booking. Any changes to the event must be signalled to the interpreter well in advance.
- It is highly important that preparation material – Power Point presentations, written notes, links to relevant websites, YouTube links to be used, etc. – be forwarded to the interpreter at the earliest opportunity. A failure to supply this may result in difficulties for the interpreter and a non-optimum interpretation. Failure to provide preparation material for certain complex assignments may result in withdrawal of service.
- Due to health and safety reasons, an interpreter when working alone is required to have a break of at least 5 minutes every 45-50 minutes. Service may be discontinued if such breaks are not supplied.
- Due to reasons of health and safety as well as the need to maintain quality of service, complex and Full Day (and certain Half Day) assignments will require a co-interpreter. The interpreter can assist in sourcing a colleague for the assignment, who should be appropriately qualified and skilled. Deaf interpreters may be recommended to work alongside the interpreter in certain circumstances. The second interpreter’s own rates, terms and conditions etc. may differ from those above and will be invoiced for separately.
- On the day of assignment, the interpreter reserves the right to judge the interpreting situation to be above his/her level of ability, or outside the domain of his/her skills and experience. In this case he/she will inform those present immediately and advise on possible solutions and further action.
- Failure of one party to arrive for the assignment will be taken as cancellation on the day of the assignment, and this will be invoiced for in full.
- The video or audio recording of the interpreting service will require the prior permission of the interpreter at all times.